Cambodian Visa requirements
In order to work legally in Cambodia, you will be required to get an E Visa (sometimes known as an ordinary visa)
Employment Verification Letter
In order to get an E Visa you will need to verification of employment letter from Naga Earth prior to your arrival.
You will need to provide the following information to us prior to your arrival so we can provide this letter to you.
- Full Name
- Date of Birth
- Passport issue Date
- Passport expiration date
- Expected date of arrival and departure
The E Visa will be available at the airport for most Nationalities. The cost is $30 and you will need to pay cash and have 2 passport photos with you. This visa is valid for one month
Your E Visa can be extended in Siem Reap for 1 month, 3 months, 6 months or 12 months. The extension price is approximately $25 per month. The 1 month and 3 month visas are single entry, the 6 and 12 month visas are multiple entry.
Be sure to have enough open pages open in your passport. Each Cambodian Visa will take up a full page.
Normally we will be able to provide you with airport pickup either personally or through your guesthouse, depending on your arrival time. Please let us know in advance your airline, flight number, arrival date and arrival time.
We recommend staying in a guesthouse for your first few days in Siem Reap. We will be available to help you find shared housing or personal flat. Normally a nice room in Siem Reap with kitchen is available for $100-$200 per month.
You can research what is available ahead of time through this Facebook group:
Siem Reap is a very easy place to navigate by bicycle. We will provide you with a bicycle and free maintenance of that bicycle for the duration of your stay.
Local taxis "Tuk Tuk's" are also available. Normally a ride around town costs about $1
Phone and internet service is quite good and inexpensive in Cambodia
You will want to make sure that your phone is unlocked before leaving home.
We will help you to acquire a new sim card after you arrive. The sim card will cost between $2-$10 depending on the internet package you choose. Siem Reap has 4G in most places and Wifi is available at our factory and in most cafes.
Your safety is our primary concern. You will be given an emergency number to call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In case of any problems, we are here to help.
Normally Siem Reap is a safe destination, but we do have some crime. Please follow our safety recommendations to avoid any problems.
- Keep all valuables, like purse, phone or laptop in a backpack or in the zippered handlebar bag on the bicycle we provide. People carrying around shoulder bags are vulnerable to bag snatchers.
- When traveling late at night, we recommend bicycling in a group, especially if the road is quiet. If that is not an option we recommend using a local Tuk Tuk to get home.
- Bus transportation - daytime only. Night buses in Cambodia are notoriously dangerous. We recommend Giant Ibis for most destinations in Cambodia or for travel to Thailand.
- Hitchhiking is not common in Cambodia and not allowed while you are volunteering for Naga Earth.
- All volunteers who rent a house or room in Cambodia are required to have a Naga Earth representative check out the rental to make sure we consider it a safe location.
- All volunteers will need to fill out an emergency contact form prior to starting work.
- Volunteers are required to have medical insurance.
- Please consider bringing your own bicycle helmet. While not required, it is highly recommended and the bicycle helmets available in Siem Reap are not high quality.
- Avoid mosquito bites. It is possible to get malaria or dengue in Siem Reap. The best thing is to wear appropriate clothing and to remember to put on mosquito repellent during wet season.
hospitals and clinics in siem reap
pharmacies in siem reap
There are a number of pharmacies in Siem Reap, you will be able to find most common medications. If you require a specific medication while you are here, please let us know and we can check with the pharmacies prior to your arrival.
The most modern pharmacy in town is U-Care
Siem Reap has a number of ATM's. You will be able to get Cash from your Visa or MasterCard. Be aware that transaction fees are normally $5 to $10. Western Union is also available for international money transfer.
US Dollars and Cambodian Riel are interchangeable and accepted everywhere. The best exchange rates are normally at the banks and the worst exchange rate is at the border or the airport.
The postal office is generally reliable. We have a PO box available if you would like to have something sent to you while you are in Siem Reap.
International companies like Federal Express and DHL also operate in Siem Reap.
what to bring with you
- Employment Verification Letter
- Rain jacket
- Bicycle helmet
- Cell phone
- Appropriate work attire
- ATM Card
- Day pack
- Headlamp or flashlight
activities in Siem Reap
There is no shortage of fun things to do in Siem Reap. Here are a few of our recommendations: